Coolidge Municipal Airport History
The Coolidge Municipal Airport was originally constructed in the early 1940ís by the U.S. Department of the
Army. Originally constructed as an air transport command base, Coolidge Army Airfield served as an auxiliary
operating base for Williams Field during World War II. The original airfield was constructed with three runways
in a triangular configuration. Of these three runways, two remain: Runway 17-35 and Runway 5-23.
Numerous support facilities were constructed, of which a 120-foot by 80-foot hangar still remains. On
January 19,1950 the airfield was transferred to Pinal County since the airfield was no longer needed by the
U.S. Department of the Army. Pinal County owned and operated the airport until 1959 when the City of Coolidge
obtained ownership of the airport. On March 2, 1959 the airport was officially transferred from Pinal
County ownership to the City of Coolidge.
Coolidge aviators, officials work to save WWII hangar. Click here to read more.
We are looking for more information and photos of the Coolidge airport from the 1940s when it was an active
military base. If you have any information or photos